Are you looking for How To Turn On Windows Defender or how to activate Windows Defender?
If you are a Windows 8 and Windows 10 user, you already know about Windows Defender, please.
Windows Defender itself is a system built-in antivirus program, which is pre-installed on Windows 8 and Windows 10 by default.
This antivirus can be said to be very helpful, because the program is quite light, even for computers with low specifications.
Table of Contents
How to Activate Windows Defender in Windows 10
Basically, Windows Defender should automatically turn on.
Well, but what if the current position on your computer is disabled? Suppose you have turned it off once, then forgot how to turn it back on.
For that, here I will discuss the complete tutorial. It just so happens that I also apply these steps frequently.
There are at least two general ways to turn Windows Defender back on, which are disabled, and can be adjusted as needed (later will be explained).
The first way can be through the default Windows Settings, while the second can be through the Group Policy settings ( gpedit.msc ). Please be listened to:
1. How to Turn on Windows Defender Through Settings
The settings in question are the default settings page in Windows 10, or more familiarly known as the Control Panel (although the Control Panel actually has more).
For the steps like this:
- Step 1. First, please click the Start button on the Windows taskbar first, then click the gear icon there. More details can check this picture:
- Step 2. Furthermore, there will be many menus. Please check the bottom, then select the Update & Security menu.
- Step 3. In the next menu, click on the Windows Security or Windows Defender column, then enter the Virus Protection menu.
- Step 3. A new window will appear. Well, there are several settings from Windows Defender. Swipe down to the bottom, then turn on Real-Time Protection.
Real-Time Protection is a settings menu to activate Windows Defender so that it can protect the system from viruses. This setting will work, both online and offline.
Usually, Windows Defender doesn’t work because this setting position is still off. By setting it to be on, antivirus protection will automatically be active again.
2. How to Activate Windows Defender Through Group Policy
Group Policy is a special page, in which there are tens to hundreds of settings related to Windows systems.
For some conditions, inactive Windows Defender can only be restarted through this Group Policy setting, you know.
Therefore, this method is no less important to learn.
Well, to try it, you can follow the steps below:
- Step 1. First, in the search column, please type ” Edit Group Policy “, then open the results.
- Step 2 . If so, we can continue. Please enter the Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender > Real-time Protection menu .
- Step 3. Click the Real-Time Protection folder. Check on the right and look for the Turn off Real-Time Protection setting. Right-click the setting, then click Edit.
- Step 4. The setting position there is set Enabled. This is what makes Windows Defender disabled. Please change the setting to Not Configured, then click the Apply button again.
After the steps are applied, try restarting the computer first as usual. After that, try checking Windows Defender.
Note: This Windows Group Policy can only be active on Windows 10 Pro. For Windows 10 Home users, you can’t find the Group Policy menu later.
3. How to Enable Windows Defender Which is Turn Off by Group Policy
This condition is actually quite rare. So, when Windows Defender wants to be activated or run, the message ” Windows Defender is turned off by Group Policy ” appears.
For how to activate it not through Group Policy, but specifically through Regedit ( registry settings ) in Windows.
This method can be applied to all versions of Windows 10. Not only the pro version but Windows 10 Home too.
Please follow the steps below:
- Step 1. First, please click the Windows + R button simultaneously, to open the Run menu.
- Step 2. Type ” Regedit “, then click OK.
- Step 3 . Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Policies > Microsoft > Windows Defender > Check the right side, double click on the DisableAntiSpyware column .
- Step 4. In the Modify data column, please fill in the value 1, then click OK.
After that, you can open Windows Defender again as usual. This will automatically start Windows Defender.
How to Fix Windows Defender Can’t Open
If it has been activated, but Windows Defender still cannot be opened, then several additional options must be done.
- Click Windows key + R > Type ” control panel “> Then click OK .
- In the Control Panel search field> Please type ” security and maintenance “
- Well, there is a red notification from Windows Defender there. Click Turn on Now.
These steps are specifically for overcoming the message ” Windows Defender has been turned off and isn’t monitoring your computer “.
However, here is another message, which more or less reads ” Windows Defender is not monitoring your PC because the program’s service stopped . You should restart it now “.
How to fix this?
- Type ” services ” in the search field on the Windows taskbar.
- Look for Windows Defender Service there.
- Double click the Windows Defender Service.
- Then, in the Startup Type, please change from Manual to Automatic.
Click OK and save the settings. Done.
The Final Word
Such is the review on how to activate Windows Defender.
Antivirus, is actually an important element in a computer system, in order to maintain its stability.
Therefore, making sure Windows Defender is on, is arguably very important.
If you have questions related to our discussion this time, please send them directly via the comments column below.
Hope it is useful.